Questioning may be one of the most powerful and flexible of all teaching and instructional tools. What can it be used for?
- to summarize and draw discussions to a close
- to help people diagnose own problems, answer own questions, or to think for themselves -- to promote critical thinking
- to encourage all participants to fully participate, and to expand and develop their responses to be less superficial.
- to keep the group on topic since questions also can guide a discussion
- to check out understanding or agreement
- to arouse interest and capture attention through the evocation of curiousity and uncertainty
- to discover present knowledge of a group or individual and diagnose and assess where a student is "at"
- to obtain helpful advice, criticism, feedback or suggestions
- to get information about a subject or person