Training And Learning Wisdom
On this page you'll find longer articles on various aspects of training. We focus not only on helping trainers, but on assisting the buyers and customers of training. Articles are arranged by topic.
New, Recent And Featured:
- A Simple But Powerful Training Model For Trainers by Robert Bacal
- Why People Hate Training
- Get Huge Learning Value From Handouts and Job Aids
- Taking Control Of Anxiety When You Have To Do A Speech, Presentation Or Training Session
- What Trainers And Teachers Need To Know About The Limitations Of Neuroscience In Improving Training and Learning
- The Fatal Flaw That E-learning and Technology Based Instruction Face: It's Not Poor Implementation, It's Genetic
Return On Investment and Training Value
Looking for help on increasing the effectiveness of training, and improving return on investment? The material below will provide you with ideas, hints and advice on the topic.
- Getting A Return On Investment (ROI) From Training by Robert Bacal
- Increasing the Return on Your Training Investment (For Managers & HR)
- What is Training Good For, and What Is It Not Good For by Robert Bacal
- Training For ROI (Return On Investment)
- Training - Cost or Investment?
- Training Courses - A Waste of Money?
- Measuring Training Programs: Cost Vs Benefit
- Tracking Employee Training - Measuring Training Effectiveness With KPIs
Maximizing Training Effectiveness and Improving Learning
- Using Strategic Learning Contracts To Improve Training Effectiveness by Robert Bacal
- Improve Retention of Your Complex Learning Material
- Making Training Stick
Technologies And Training
With the development of various technologies, the application of telecommunication, computers and the Internet to the function of training delivery have skyrocketed. It remains to be seen if the use of technologies in training is actually effective. Here you will find general discussions of this issue, and hints, tips and advice on the use of technology applied to training.
- Online Training For Skill Development (Self-Paced)
- The Advantages of E-Learning
- Lower Training Expenses with Online Training
- eLearning Course Development: A How To Guide (new for 2010)
Training Activities, Games, Etc.
Training games and activities are valuable additions to most training programs, and almost always included in training seminars. However they are sometimes overused, and/or used improperly.
- Using Training Games In Seminars To Improve Learning
- Maximizing Outdoor Experiential Training and Development Programs
- How Do I Use Buzz Groups in Training?
- Internal Training - 5 Ideas To Make It Work
Managing Training and Learning With Learning Management Systems (LMS)
LMS or learning management software has become very popular. Users and companies are using these systems to track training, and with the more advanced software packages, to actually help with the design and delivery of training.
- Questions You Should Be Asking Of Your Potential LMS Vendors - But Likely Are Not
- LMS Versus LCMS (What's the Difference?)
Oh, Those Wacky Trainers and Facilitators
Sad to say, the training profession, like any other, has its share (and perhaps more of its share) of flakes, nutcakes, and to be honest, unskilled, ignorant, or otherwise misinformed people. In this section we'll present articles and ideas that (at least to us) reflect the worst thinking about training that occurs from within the profession.
For Learners and Participants - Getting The Most From Going To TrainingTraining can be expensive so it's pretty remarkable that a lot of training goes to waste because it's not planned for. It's possible to increase the return on investment for training dollars, and some of that responsibility rests with those that attend training.
Onboarding and Orientation of New Hires/Employees