Choosing the right training methods and activities is critical in designing effective training. Of course, simply using the right training method isn't enough to make training effective. You have to use the training activity or tool effectively and use it properly. Here we'll cover many of the training activities in the trainer's tool box, explain them, when they are appropriate or not appropriate, and provide some hints and tips to use them properly.
Selecting Training and Instructional Methods
- What should be considered when choosing instructional methods and strategies (Part I)?
- What should be considered when choosing instructional methods and strategies (Part II)?
- What should be considered when choosing instructional methods and strategies (Part III)?
- What is brainstorming and what is it used for?
- Can you explain brainstorming step-by-step?
- Are there any hints for using brainstorming effectively?
- Are there drawbacks associates with brainstorming as a training technique?
Demonstration / Modeling / Vicarious Learning / Observational Learning
- What is demonstration (and modeling?)
- Why is modeling / observational learning so important to training?
- Can modeling or demonstration be used with non-psychomotor skills?
- What's the key to making modeling oiowork?
- Can modeling / demonstration be done through media?
Role-Playing and Psychodrama In Training
- What is the difference between roleplaying and psychodrama?
- What can roleplaying be used for in training seminars?
- What is the role of feedback in roleplaying?
- What is scripted role playing?
- What is spontaneous roleplaying?
- What is script analysis and how can it be used in place of roleplaying?
- What are the advantages of roleplaying in training?
- What are the disadvantages and/or misuses of roleplaying?
- What is involved in designing role playing activities?
Case Studies and Case Based Instruction (Case Method)
- What is the Case Method?
- What is the Darden Case Case Study Method?
- Is there a difference between the case method and a case study?
- What elements should be included in a case used for case method instruction?
- What are the steps in designing a case?
- Why Use Case Studies?
- Can you suggest some guidelines to give to learners to help them use case methods more effectively?
Questioning and The Socratic Method
- What is the Socratic Method?
- Can the Socratic Method (or other instructional uses of questioning) be misused?
- Do you have some basic hints for teachers or instructors on how to use the Socratic Method?
- As a teacher or instructor, why do I want to use questioning?
- Are there any hints and tips about using questioning effectively during instruction?
- What's the difference between and closed ended question and an open ended question and when do I use them?