Roleplaying is a versatile tool and is used for learning, evaluation and therapy purposes. Here are a few of the purposes it can serve.
- maximize participation and stimulate thinking during training and learning.
- provide opportunities to practice interpersonal type situations in a relatively threat free context where negative consequences in real life situations are a concern.
- provide opportunity for role playing participants to self-evaluate their learning and "performances".
- permit learners to test out new behaviors to see how they feel.
- provide an opportunity for the trainer to evaluate or assess learner progress through the observation of behavior.
- provide an opportunity for feedback givers to hone their feedback skills.
- provide an experiential learning opportunity that has a higher level of realness and also provide a mechanism for dealing with emotions associated with the new behaviors.