- Adult Learning and Andragogy (27)
- Adult learning or Andragogy has become a dominant model for training and learning. Learn more about its strengths, and more importantly its weaknesses.
- Blended Learning (19)
- An in-person class in which online tools and activities replace some but not all scheduled class meeting time. Find material relevant to choosing and using blended learning methods.
- Brain Friendly Training And Teaching Techniques (11)
- More and more we're seeing attempts to apply what we "know" about how brains work to improve teaching and training. It's not simple, but in this section you'll find brain friendly training techniques.
- Business Of Running A Training Company (10)
- Many trainers or those from other industries look to set up and run their own training and consulting companies, but it's a lot more complex than hanging out your shingle. In this section, you'll find help with all the different aspects of starting and running your company, gleaned from the experts.
- Checklists and Tools (17)
- Looking for a checklist or other training tool? Check out this section.
- Coaching and Mentoring (26)
- Training isn't the only way to support employee learning. Coaching and mentoring are also important learning tools in the workplace.
- Cognitive And Brain Training (19)
- Over the last years, scientists have talked about brain plasticity, which suggests that even older people can change how their brains work, because they are much more flexible than previously thought. That's given rise to claims, perhaps warranted, perhaps not, about exercises to improve brain functioning, thinking, and memory. That's what we'll look at in this section.
- Cognitive Science and Learning (13)
- Emerging in a formal and more widespread form in the period between 1970-2000 cognitive science has added a great deal to our understanding of how people learn. It's still a young pup, but every trainer and educator should have some understanding of this fascinating field.
- Conferences And Events (4)
- Conferences and events are often used by companies to create employee engagement and to foster learning. Often it's training and human resource staff who are tasked with organizing and making them work. In this section, we'll look at the in's and out's of what is a complex task.
- Constructivism (4)
- Distance Education (17)
- Distance education has become more in demand, and as a result a huge industry has developed, with both reputable educational institutions, and fly by night organizations that are no better than diploma mills. In this section we'll cover all aspects of distance ed.
- Diversity Crosscultural Multicultural Training (20)
- Working with diverse groups or providing mulitcultural and diversity training is more challenging than many other kinds of training and learning. Here's help.
- Diversity EEO Training Exercises and Games (20)
- Information and links to games, exercises and simulations used in diversity training, or employment equity, or affirmative action training.
- E - Learning (50)
- E-Learning is the fastest growing sector in the training industry and covers the use of various technologies for helping people learn.
- Evaluating Learners (8)
- One outcome of training is that participants and learners learn what they are supposed to. But how do you measure, or evaluate learning in training or education?
- Experiential Learning (10)
- Experiential learning has come to mean two different types of learning:
1. learning by yourself and
2. experiential education
[experiential learning through programs structured by others]
(Smith, 2003). We'll look at the topic in depth, but take note that many things in education are prone to ideological issues, and experiential learning is one of them.
- Facilitation (16)
- Help with the process of facilitation for both professional facilitators and those interested in using the process in their organizations
- Group Dynamics (6)
- So much of our work helping others learn occurs in groups of varying sizes, so it's important to develop an understanding of how groups work -- group dynamics. That's what we'll cover in this section.
- Improving Training Effectiveness (15)
- Most corporate training is less effective than it might be. We cover practical steps that can be used to improve training effectiveness.
- Informal Learning (10)
- Is it a new buzzword with no value? Or is it a significant concept for trainers and learners? We'll cover all aspects of informal learning through these hand selected articles.
- Instructional Design (12)
- Instructional design (or designing training is both a science and an art. Here's some material to help you develop your instructional design skills.
- Leaders In Learning and Training (8)
- Every field has thought leaders, and so does the study of learning and training, and the development of new perspectives. Learn about the great minds that have shaped our ideas about learning and training.
- Leadership Training (7)
- Do we train leaders? Develop them? What techniques are available to help develop better leaders. That's what this section is about.
- Learning 2point0 (5)
- It's another one of those terms connected with training that makes sense to some, and seems like noxious vapid use of language by others, but we include it here. Find out what Learning 2.0 might mean, if anything at all.
- Learning Management Systems LMS (15)
- Learning Management Systems refer to software designed to manage, track, administer and organize all aspects of training and learning.
(Products and Tools)
- Learning Objectives and Goals (8)
- Writing and using learning objectives is an important part of both instructional design and delivery. Here's help with learning how to write learning objectives (LO)
- Learning Objects (7)
- Find out what learning objects are, their importance and use. The concept is similar to the notion of instructional modules that can be moved about and combined to quickly create instructional sequences, although modules are generally considered as bigger chunks.
- Learning Styles - The Great Training Myth (23)
- The importance of learning styles, and matching instruction to individual styles is accepted by most trainers, but in fact, it's a myth. Learning styles and catering to them makes almost no sense, and despite thousands of studies, the results are all over the place. For good reason. Matching instruction to style is an insignificant factor in learning success.
- Learning Theories As They Relate To Training (27)
- Training and instructional design are based on differing learning theories and models. In this section we cover the theories that trainers and training designers should know about.
- Lies Myths and Misconceptions About Learning and Instruction (12)
- Want to know the truth about some of the oft quoted research about learning, androgogy and instruction? Start here.
- MOOC -Massive Online Open Courses (15)
- In this section you'll find resources addressing MOOC's, Massive Online Open Courses. These are free university and college courses taken online, but for no credit. Strengths? Weaknesses?
- Measuring and Evaluating Training Effectiveness (10)
- Most companies and trainers don't actually measure training effectiveness. Perhaps they should, but it is expensive. This section is about evaluating training effectiveness and associated methods.
- Memory (21)
- It's ironic that memory is one of the most studied aspects of learning, but it's almost never discussed in training circles except in the most superficial ways. That's probably because the research and study of memory tends to be a bit technical, which many trainers prefer to avoid, because it's hard work. We'll cover this essential field here.
(Understanding Working Memory)
- Motivating Learners (12)
- Is there a role for trainers, teachers and instructional designers in terms of building motivation into training? That's the topic here.
- Organizational Development OD (5)
- This is a huge area with an interesting history, but we'll go beyond that by discussing organizational life, and topics such as organizational health, values, attitudes, toxicity, and other topics relevant to improving all kinds of organizations.
- Powerpoint Presentations On Learning and Training (2)
- Around the Internet you'll find people have made available powerpoint slide presentations on learning and training. We've selected some of them that may be of interest. Some stand up well on their own, while others don't have much use unless you are actually at the presentation.
- Reading On Screens vs Reading Print (19)
- We rely a lot on reading to learn and communicate, but many people believe that reading on CRT's and screens operates the same as using print on paper. Not true. Here's some features on this topic.
- Sales Training (13)
- Since it's fairly easy to track the effects of training on sales, and the cost of incompetent sales staff is high, there's a lot of material on the training of sales staff. Here's more.
- Social Networking and Learning (6)
- It's new(er). It's hot. People are using social networks like LinkedIn, Twitter, and so on to learn. And, trainers are jumping on the bandwagon. What's real. What' virtual? What's unsubstantiated hype?
- Special Merit On Training and Learning (25)
- In this section we feature particularly valuable contributions to our understanding of how people learn, training and education, with emphasis on research findings that can be applied to everyday life.
(How People Learn - Book)
(Learning Remembering Believing - Enhancing Human Performance)
- Syllabus and Curriculum Development and Use (2)
- Curriculum development and the use of syllabus are common elements in education and for teachers, but they can be useful for trainers too.
- Teaching In Higher Education (10)
- Professors and other teaching staff at higher education are often ill prepared or not prepared at all for the responsibility of helping others learn. In this section we'll have material to help college and university staff develop their teaching abilities.
- Teams and Team Building (7)
- There much ado about teams in work and leisure, and for some fairly good reasons. We live in a society where we are all to some degree mutually inter-dependent. The better we work together, the better each individual is (or is that false?)
- To Classify (27)
- This is a temporary area for training articles not yet classified
- Training - Needs Assessments (10)
- Determing training needs for both organizations and individuals is vital for the success of training.
- Training - Return On Investment (9)
- Return on investment for training (ROI) is a critical aspect of investing money and time in corporate training. Here you'll find research, methodologies and advice on how to increase ROI for training.
- Training Delivery Tips and Tricks (1)
- This is the place for small hints, tips and advice on how to train, educate or speak more effectively.
- Training Methods and Activities (185)
- Need information about training methods, how to use them, and the pro's and con's of each? Here's the place to start.
(Video - Audio - Feedback)
(Value Clarification Exercises)
(Games for TeamBuilding)
(Wellness and Stress)
(Games For Learning)
- Training and Learning Myths (13)
- Training and education fields seem to collect a lot of supposed facts that are, in fact, not true. Here you'll find some of them.
- Twitter Learning and Training (9)
- Now people are saying that trainers and teachers must use Twitter in their own learning and to teach others. Fad? Silly? We explore the uses of Twitter for learning and training, and education, in this section
- University and Higher Education (6)
- What's the point of going to university? Where did universities start? How has higher education changed over the decades, and is a higher education worth it?
These are the questions we'll look at in this section that examines how to get the most from higher education, both from a student's point of view, and society in general.
- Webinars For Learning (7)
- Webinars have become more popular both as marketing devices, and as a means to provide training that reduces travel and other costs. Here we'll cover how to make webinars work.
- Wellness and Stress Training (10)
- Learn what organizations are doing in the area of workplace wellness, stress training, and work-life balance
- Workplace Safety and Health Training (4)
- Usually workplace safety and health training is required by law, and thus is different and has different challenges than more voluntary training. Here's help.